Davis and White Lead the Pack with Derek Hough-Choreographed Ice Dance

They’re doing great! Here are a couple news articles, followed by a video from someone at the event. From NBC OlympicTalk:

Ice dancing also began Friday. Reigning Olympic silver medalists and world champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White posted their highest short dance score at a season-opening event, a 73.67.

Ice dancers Davis and White, who skated to music from “My Fair Lady,” lead by a comfortable 11 points over Canadians Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje going into Saturday’s free dance (8 p.m. ET). Weaver and Poje were fifth at the World Championships in March.

“It’s still really early in the season, and we can’t go out there kind of on autopilot like we can later in the season and just enjoy the process,” Davis said. “We really have to think through everything, which is OK.”

From Deseret News:

“We always feel pressure,” said Davis after the country’s most accomplished ice dancers earned a 73.67 score Friday afternoon in the short dance program of the 2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic. “We have these goals for ourselves this year. We take this competition very seriously. We want to make a big impact with our first outing.”

Their score was good enough for first place, with Canada’s Andrew Poje and Kaitlyn Weaver scoring the event’s second-highest score in the short program with a 62.61.

You can see a bit of video of the dance, thanks to nikle8412 on Instagram.

Vogue with an Update: And below is the full routine thanks to teddyjo26 You Tube. Thanks to reader Adriana for sending this to us. It’s stunning!

This entry was posted in Current News, Other Articles, Other Media, Other Videos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Davis and White Lead the Pack with Derek Hough-Choreographed Ice Dance

1. sherrill funk says:

White and Davis are fantastic but we know from watching DWTS that Derek is a genius and making people look great on the dance floor or on the ice

2. lois ferg says:

and now…how amazing what that!!!!! I’m so proud of Derek, Davis and White.
    What a blessing to all of us, to be able to watch his God given talents through
    others he works with. Great skate!!!

• Grace says:

So well said!! Meryl, Charlie and Derek do have “God given talents”. Great job!! Go USA!!

• mbburke says:

My 8yr old daughter and I watched the olympics together.when charlie and meryl were flicking and kicking in the short program , my daughter turned to me and said”oh that’s derek right there!”.you cannot miss his brilliance:) so proud of charlie and meryl .! I think dtws should do a program with some of the teams .I really loved the french and two russian teams .can you imagine them all in front of carey ann .len and bruno????? It would be amazing !

3. lois ferg says:

my favorite ice dance couple, and goes without saying, my favorite Ballroom/Latin dancer and choreographer.
    What a wonderful touch to the ice dance world to have a champ like Derek, to influence the choreo for future wins!
    Best of luck for each time you two perform this piece, and always.

4. Pingback: Charlie White Blogs About “My Fair Lady” Choreographed By Derek Hough | Pure Derek Hough

5. DW says:

OMG this is fabulous! What an exquisite routine and I can see Derek’s influences. Thank you so much for this!! I also have to say that I was a devoted fan of Gordeeva and Grinkov and loved their routines from Marina Zueva who I think is the best choreographer in the skating world. It is such a thrill to know she is working with Meryl and Charlie because that threesome, with the addition of Derek’s help, is headed for GOLD, imo. Absolutely gorgeous routine!!!!

Yes!!! I’m so happy for Charlie and Meryl, and of course, double happy for Derek! That short clip of their quickstep(?) ice dance looks great. Hope there’s a full vid out there. Go for gold, indeed!

7. Dee(upclose22) says:

Awesome!!! Excited to hear more..

I’m so excited on this!!! yayyyy! They are going GOLD at the Olympics and this routine will help seal it. You wait and see!